Taking good care of your makeup brush set will not only prolong the life of the brushes but also ensures the best possible application. A makeup brush will collect lots of dirt, bacteria, and oil after a long period of use. For this reason, it is essential to wash them frequently so that your face can be clean and healthy.
One of the factors that you need to be aware of is that improper makeup brush leads to accumulation of harmful bacteria. These bacteria will eventually cause breakout and acne, so cleaning the makeup brush is not something to take lightly. To maintain that youthful face and good hygiene ensure that your makeup brush is in top condition for smooth makeup application.
Make use of the following tips to clean your makeup brushes properly.
Here is what you will need:
• A towel
• All your makeup brushes
1. Pick the makeup brushes and run them under the sink faucet in warm water.
2. Use a small amount of shampoo to clean them and then rinse properly.
3. Continue to shampoo and rinse until all the color from the makeup brush is cleared.
4. Mix vinegar and water in proportions of 2 parts water and 1 part vinegar in a bowl
5. To disinfect them dip the brushes in the mixture for about 15 seconds and remove.
6. The final step is to put all the brushes on top of a dry towel and give them time to air dry.
Technique 2 (Deep cleaning)
- Start by making the brush hair wet by dipping it in warm water
- Pour a small amount of antibacterial soap in your hand, swirl the hair of the brush in your palm, and clean any makeup that may be left stuck on the brush hair thoroughly.
- Rinse the soap from your hand and continue cleaning until the shampoo on your hand is clear.
- If need be, apply more soap on your hand and repeat the process
- Next is to rinse the soap. Do this thoroughly and ensure that your brush is free from any soap and makeup residue. When rinsing concentrate on the brush bristles only and do not deep the handle part as warm water may compromise the glue that attaches the brush to the handle.
- Keep the brush in an upside down position and place it between your palms
- Spin the brush so that the bristles can release the excess water.
- To keep the bristles in their normal position, use your fingers and reshape them.
To ensure that your makeup brushes last for a long time, you need to store them properly. Keeping the brush separate from your makeup will keep them clean and hygienic. To keep them dry and prevent dust buildup, store them in a case. When storing them always keep in upright or flat position, as this help them to maintain their original shape. Lastly, remember that makeup brushes come with bristles made from different materials. Reading the manufacturer’s instructions helps you to avoid destroying the bristles.